What is going on today 2017?

I was over Chills house who has a smaller yard than me, and he had stuff packed in there, made me think I have a lot of room yet! Trees were closer, he just went vertical with them. He did a great job, impressive. He has less light which sucks. My cottage is like that. Here, I have very good light.
A couple weeks ago I took a photo of some of the lilies in my front garden.

I like to grow zinnias too. They look fantastic, the flowers last forever, and they keep producing for months. Easy to save seed too.

10 Likes

I imagined a bird having the views that you showed from the second story, and would freak out seeing so many prime targets.

Birds stripped our cherry trees in no time, including a sapling that was about 7ft tall. I really wanted to sample some fruit from that tree, just to see what they tasted like. All I know is that it was a tart cherry.

Speaking of cherry trees, we have a couple old ones down by the old house, and our new 4 month old cat decided to act like a monkey and skitter up one. He got about 15ft above me on some rather precarious little branches.

I talked him down and walked him up the hill and let him go, and the bugger ran back to the same tree and went up a different trunk. I think he went even higher up. I was worried about him falling, and I didn’t want to have to try to catch him as I’m sure he’d be all claws coming down. I was talking to him again, and he got on a small branch and slipped but hung on and pulled himself back up. He eventually came down, and this time I hauled him up the hill. I know he’s a cat and he’s gonna climb trees, but I was worried about our new kitty.

3 Likes

Kittens do love trouble!

3 Likes

I paid a visit to Edible Landscaping today. Went with the intent of getting a 10 gallon Indian Cling Peach. I ended up with a 7 Gallon Indian Cling Peach, A Korean Giant Asian Pear, 3 unknown cherry trees, an unknown English pear and a very large distressed weeping mulberry tree. I have got to stop going there - I have no restraint.

12 Likes

Hidden amongst my fruit trees a rose of Sharon is a thing of beauty.

10 Likes

I post weeks back about a possible Honeycrisp graft that i swear should be HC…i’m still lost at what it is. All i can say is that it is shaded by a peach tree…so probably why its so green. Any chance? Its the biggest apple on this multi budded tree.

5 Likes

Possible. I will take a pic of mine tomorrow to compare to yours.

2 Likes

My Puget gold apricots ripening up nicely.

As are my Frost peaches…

And Nectarines​:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Anthony

14 Likes

Anthony,
Those look real good.Are they in a greenhouse and if so,is there ever a Spider Mite problem?
Also,what’s the fruit just below the Apricots in the first picture? Brady

2 Likes

Looks like one to me!

1 Like

Hopefully…if not i’ll just have to get some wood and regraft.

I’ve done a ton of budding (just a small sample below) the past few days. I’m using Puget Gold seedlings under pluots (FK/FS)… i have more to do…Pretty thin wood, but everything seems to be matching up so we’ll see what happens come spring. The FK budwood i have is super skinny stuff, so it works good on these.

3 Likes

Found this bad boy hiding behind a bunch of Cardinal flowers. Can’t believe it got so big without me noticing. I do rounds in the veggie patch twice a day.

Overview of the flower beds into the veggie garden. Yard long beans doing very well.

8 Likes

Butternut variety in the picture is Waltham.

1 Like

If you like to bud, I can send you Honey Crisp scionwood. I just get around to “prune” my fruit trees. I also broke a 4 ft central lead of my Harrow Sweet pear. Yikes. The wood is still fresh because I put it in the bucket of water. I attempted to t-bud on a rootstock but gave up. I am not good with budding. You are. I can send both HC and HS wood to you.

Let me know.

1 Like

Beautiful flowers and healthy veggies. I’ve pretty much abandoned my flower beds in the backyard. (keep the frontyard flower bed to save face). Too much to do with my orchard, no time for flowers.

2 Likes

Did the squash escape into the flowers, or the cardinal flowers spread into the veggies?

1 Like

Brady

That stone fruit esplanier combo tree is under the eaves in front of my “open” greenhouse. Sides and back have double pane glass but front is Open. Like a big coldframe.

The apricots are actually from a different fruit combo tree with the branches trained under my covered pergola .

No spider mites on either tree. The fruits under PGA are unripe tableless Triple Crown blackberries.

Here’s another esplanier stone fruit combo tree by my kids tree house spiral slide. Placement there is so that blossoms protected from heavy spring rains under shed eaves and in August the kids can grab a fresh fruit on their way down the slide.

I guess it helps that I’m growing peaches, nectarines and apricots in a region almost nobody grows these stone fruits due to heavy spring rainfall. And it’s in the middle of the city of Burnaby so less wildlife pressure other than raccoons, skunks, rodents and the occasional squirrel (except those have yet to figure out about eating peaches etc). I get some peach leaf curl on a couple of trees and spider mites on my one new enclosed greenhouse Independence nectarine. If I can keep the coons and rodents away then these fruits do well. Sounds like a lot of members have way more disease, pests and wildlife issues in the States in peach country than my northern urban orchard, which I am thankful for. I grow organically so no sprays except neem oil and dish soap. No fertilizers except diluted urine and rabbit compost. No nets or wire fences to fend off deer, birds and squirrel mobs. I just set up an electric fence but need to test it to ensure it’ll work to keep out the coons especially. Sorry for the essay. Why type 5 words when 1000 will do, eh?

Anthony

7 Likes

Cardinal flowers are in the veggie garden. I grow a lot of flowers inside the veggie area. I got way too many Shasta daisies flopping all over veggies. Got to reduce the amount of flowers from there.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m new to fruits. So I still got time for flowers and veggies. I spend most my gardening time on veggies.

1 Like

I once coddled and cultivated the cardinal lobelias in one flower bed. Now I wage extermination against them, every one that sprouts up.

What an invasive plant!

1 Like