What tomatoes will you grow in 2018?

Some pix of our toms that were transplanted last week. The red cups are what they were in before. I write the name of the variety on the cup and keep them in the patch to keep track of them.

Russian Queen. This is a very vigorous grower, usually gets to 5-6ft. It’s already the tallest plant in the patch. Has kind of a Roma shape to it, but with nice orange striping on it.

Abe Lincoln. This was grown from seeds from Lowe’s.

Gordost Sibiri. A good dependable, disease resistant red variety.

GGWT. This crazy plant already has a flower on it, will prob pinch it off, though. A mutant variety of Green Zebra, from @Drew51.

Paul Robeson. This is a purple variety. We haven’t had real good luck with dark 'maters, but this one was worth trying again.

Looking good, will need to stake them and get some more mulch down. It’s going to be in the 90s the next few days, so they’ll like the heat, but will be sure to water them in the evenings. I gave them 4ft spacing, which looks like a lot now, but they will fill that spacing in eventually.

5 Likes

I made up an 18" add-on to the top of the 5’ cage that the Super Sweet 100 was starting to come out of already. (it’s the 3rd one in the 1st row)

WOW!! That’s an understatement 'Dood!!! Those look AWESOME!

A few years ago I grew Abe Lincoln - liked the taste good enough, but the plants were disease magnets for me. And production was real low. I think I plan on putting up with lower production from my Brandywine Sudduth 'cuz it’s so dang good… but last year was my first year with them so maybe this year they’ll make more…

4 Likes

Thanks, you’re very kind. I think they’ve recovered very well, they looked a bit wimpy a day after transplant, and the leaves had a sun bleached look to them, but they have put on a bunch of dark green foliage since then.

Your patch looks so organized and clean, and well protected. Your soil almost looks like sand! Are those beans on the row to the right? Second row from right looks like some peppers in the front? I see all the onions. What is in the back left row, more beans? What varieties of beans are y’all trying this year? That Super Sweet looks like it could become a monster. I’ve noticed that the cherry tomato plants tend to grow like crazy, maybe because the fruit is smaller, so the plant isn’t held back by setting and ripening bigger fruit?

We just planted corn, beans, cukes, okra and cauliflower last evening. I hate planting this late, but the weather has been cray-cray this year. We had a very wet, cold early spring, then bam! it was like we went straight to summer, but still rainy in May. So, I couldn’t turn and disk the plots until late April. We had to re-till the plots because it rained a lot and weeds started to fill in, but we had to wait until it dried a bit.

1 Like

Very nice plot. How do you keep it that clean with no weeds without mulch or landscape fabric ?

1 Like

Yeah it’s kinda sandy/loamy I guess. Hard to describe for me anyway. Our part of Iowa is in the Loess Hills which were formed by wind deposits of fine silt like soil left behind when the glaciers melted.

It has its own unique set of pros & cons. it seems to drain well, yet holds moisture pretty well a few inches down. The problem is it forms a crust and it’s really hard for some things to break through.

In fact we had something like a 2" rain in a short time frame and it washed some things out including some beans. I replanted and only one of the replants broke through. Now two days ago we had 30 MPH winds at noon here. It snapped off 4 or 5 of my biggest beans and so like Forest Gump “…I was runnnnnning” to get some stakes and string around the row during the event so I didn’t suffer more casualties! Well I decided to replant some of the snapped off ones, as well as the ones that didn’t take after the flood!!! This time I covered them with starter soil to see if it makes a difference.

Yes those are beans on the right. I had 3 rows of beans last year and still have beans in the freezer and in jars (dilly beans) so this year I cut back to one row. Half are Jade 2, half are Strike. First year I’ve never had Blue Lake. That is a couple bell peppers you saw, and I have more bell and hot ones at the far end of that row.

The far left is a row of potatoes.

I don’t think I’d even grow the cherry toms if it weren’t for the grand kids. They eat them like candy. But yeah, they grow so quick and for as tall as they get the stem/trunk just never seem big enough to me. Not nearly as stout as the others in there.

Well thank you very much. I spaced most things wide enough to get the 17" tiller down the rows, which works for this early part of the season - not so much later on…

Then I use a scarfing hoe and just hoe every few days. what I can’t get with the hoe … it’s pull by hand time!

Things aren’t exactly pristine though, what’s not noticeable in the picture is a section in the row behind the Cilantro and white onions is carrots… er… grass. (I’ll put a picture up just to embarrass myself :smirk:)

Memo to self: Don’t even attempt carrots in a garden row going forward… I just could never tell the difference between the grass and the carrots until it was too late. Next year I’m going to do a small raised bed for carrots and other stuff like Cilantro so I can control the soil medium and all.

So anyway, I have carrots in there but am afraid the if I go to weeding they’ll get uprooted. I’ve thrown in the towel on the carrots!

2 Likes

That’s an amazing long and unusual list. What do you do with all those tomatoes and do you have a favorite?

Very neat and organized. Even your peach trees (on the left) look so healthy.

2 Likes

Still looks good. Are those peach trees to the left of the patch?

We had that happen to us last year, 3.5" in an hour and a half. It caused a big washout in our corn/bean patch, we lost a few, but didn’t replace them, we had more than enough already. We had another flood last month, with over 3" overnight, it washed away over half of the tater hills that were planted a couple days before. And just about all the onion sets. Typical.

I have tried carrots about every year, and just got a few greens, but no roots. I guess our soil is too dense for them. If we want them, I guess we’d have to go with elevated plots. Too much work, so no carrots for the rabbits, er, I mean us.

1 Like

I grow tomatoes mostly for seed to produce plants for the next few years. I also grow several varieties to make crosses in hope of developing something new and useful. Note in the list Tastiheart X La0417. This is a cross of a large potato leaf heart shaped tomato that I crossed to LA0417 which is a small cherry tomato with unusually good resistance to septoria and other foliage diseases. These plants are F1 so I will have to grow the next generation to see what shakes out.

I don’t have just one favorite, but some of my favorites from the varieties I am growing are: Yoder’s Yellow, Kellogg’s Breakfast, Riesentraube, Tastiheart, Picardy, Red Zebra, Opalka, Omar’s Lebanese, Lucky Cross, J.D.'s Special C-Tex, Dr. Carolyn Pink, Daniels, Box Car Willie, etc. Most of the rest are better than average flavor wise.

4 Likes

Thanks Mamuang, I only wish my trees had peaches…

Yeah, I have 8 peach trees scattered beside and behind the garden. Mainly just a year of rest for them this year :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yellow pear
Sun gold
Pink brandy wine
Some gigantic beefsteaks
Pineapple
Green zebra
A very sweet red cherry
Lemon boy
Jubilee

1 Like

Just got in from church and checked the patch. The ‘maters are really enjoying this heat. It got to 94 yesterday and is already 95 here at 1:00. Later in the day I’ll give them a drink. It helps that we have two 100’ hoses to run out to the plots and give them some water.

I put the tobacco stakes in yesterday, but didn’t lash them all to the sticks, most are standing tall on their own for now with no wind and rain.

Thr only one you listed there that I’m growing is Boxcar Willie, which I’ve never tried before. How would you describe it’s flavor, production and disease resistance? Thanks.

My list 2018
kelloge breakfast
Cherokee purple
Aunt Ruby German Green
Brandywine, red and pink
Mortgage lifter
Burpees summer choice
Burpee super beefsteak
Pumpkin
Sungold
Super sweet 100

More than I can eat fresh

I think i have some burpee summer choice. Tag mixups

Box Car Willie is a good main crop red tomato that is somewhat flattened with the beefsteak gene meaning multiple locules. Flavor is what I refer to as balanced. It is not as intense as Druzba, not as bland as German Johnson. It is not as sweet as Crnkovic Yugoslavian yet a tad sweeter than Rutgers. It is relatively resistant to diseases producing a good crop most years I have grown it. It is susceptible to tomato spotted wilt and to late blight as is typical of most heirloom tomatoes.

1 Like

Annie,
Mortgage Lifter!!! Are you sure it’s tomato? :wink:
I need to grow that one just for the name alone.

I grew it last summer it was delicious, but I couldn’t’ find plants this year. It has a great taste.

yeah,I need that too,but can’t find the real mortgage lifter except myself, will lift my own mortgage in N years. so I settled it with tomato to be a imaginary comforter

2 Likes

I grow all my tomatoes from seeds, starting in Feb. I usually bought these seeds for a quarter a pack, except the sungold which I ordered online . McCormick has regular products show for major big box stores, ace hardware, true value etc. After the show, they will donate some products to habitat for humanity, veggies seeds are part of the donation. I regularly do some volunteer work for them, building houses, and help at Restore . The seeds been so cheap, sometime, a dime a pack, I tend over bought many varieties that I never have room for.