What's happening today - 2018 edition

Are they firm or soft? They look great

Pretty firm

The ones still on the tree are sweeter. Not a sign of rot despite all the deep splits. Need to pick them pretty soon before the next rain, but it’s so hot!

1 Like

makes great fruit leather sprinkled with a little sugar before it sets. :wink:

1 Like

Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there!

2 Likes

This morning’s haul: Moniqui white apricots on the left, Harcot apricots on the right and a couple breba figs in the middle.

20 Likes

Beautiful!

3 Likes

So jealous! Those look terrific!

2 Likes

My 2nd leaf Pomegranate is covered in flowers. I didn’t expect this for such a young plant. Many of my figs have yet to even show fruit, so it looks like plenty of season left to ripen these. Flowers seem small but it is a baby plant!

7 Likes

Hey all,

So what does “Resistance” mean? Does it mean the tree is less likely to catch the problem it has resistance to in the first place, or does it mean the tree is able to fight off the problem once it happens?

For example, my Williams’ Pride apple looks like it has little fire blight singes on all the leaves that it grew about two weeks ago, but all the new leaves look unaffected. I don’t want to cut off all the fire blight strikes because that would mean cutting the young tree limbs back to little stumps.

Same goes it CAR. The older leaves of my Golden Delicious and Gold Rush apples are covered with those spots and look a little yellow, but the trees continue to grow vigorously and there doesn’t seem to be any problem on any new leaves. Does this mean in future years there is a possibility the trees will work past CAR and still produce?

Picked the rest of my Reliance peaches and they were surprisingly clean seeing I sprayed them only twice this year (after bloom).

Also picked about 8 gallons of AU Rosa plums (which I recommend for people who have tuff time growing plums). Great replacement for Santa Rosa which I have hard time growing in my heat.

10 Likes

This is how my day has been so far. Practically overnight this happened. I just napalmed thousands of

them with 3 gallons of Sevin. Pretty entertaining watching them fall right off the leaves to their death. Discouraging part is tomorrow there will be even more.

1 Like

I know they’ll show up here pretty soon because the cherries are picked now

Dave,
You may want to seriously consider Milky Spore. I may need one soon. My first one was about 10 years ago.

1 Like

I really wanted to try Milky Spore last fall but I missed my application window. I don’t think it is effective to out down this time of year. I think read September.

I can’t remember the timing but I think you need to do it two years in a row. My area is a bit too cold for it to be very effective,

My Japanese beetles are so much better this year! I started seeing bunches of blue winged wasps the past couple of years, and they parasitize the grubs!

These: https://www.whatsthatbug.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/scolia_dubia_don.jpg

Cot n Candy Apriums, Flavor Supreme Pluots and Santa Rosa Plums

21 Likes

I hate to see you move because all of your fruit photos will no longer coming.

Tony

5 Likes

I’ll miss them but I’m going to try again.

2 Likes

Time to get the Indar out again - weather is nothing but wet

1 Like