Wildlife in our gardens

Monarchs! Well pre-monarchs!..:wink:

11 Likes

On milkweed no less!

1 Like

I was checking for milkweed too. The milkweed out here doesn’t look like that, so I was thinking it wasn’t.

Species of Asclepias

1 Like

They’d better stay off my asclepias, of which only 2 overwintered and are yet too small for depredation.

They can have the syriaca and incarnata

Dust on the leaves is from nearby masonry construction. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

But syriaca is an asclepia … Asclepias syriaca.

[facepalm] I saw your photo and was thinking of A tuberosa, which I am babying here

1 Like

Welcome visitors…some of my neighbor’s guinea fowl.

Not a great picture but they move pretty fast if you’re trying to get close to them. And this is probably why they move fast…

17 Likes

That dog is having a blast…great shot of his hind legs/feet…!!

2 Likes

He’s a wire dachshund…his front legs were prob off the ground also. :joy: Sometimes they chase him… :flushed:

2 Likes

Last night, I was sitting on my patio with a laptop. Around midnight I heard an animal moving nearby, I thought it was my cat. When I looked at it, it was a skunk! It just walked through the patio (which was well lit by the way), maybe five feet from my chair, looked at me and went away. For a moment, I was scared it will spray me, but it didn’t seem to be disturbed a bit by my presence.

6 Likes

:grinning: I love the dog on the attack :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Great pictures Richard!

2 Likes

Let sleeping snakes ly,

5 Likes

Funny you should mention snakes. We caught this fellow sidling up the hill the other day. My wife wanted to run over it with the lawn mower, but I said let it go, it will eat the mice and other varmits. It’s not poisonous, think it’s a king or rat snake, or maybe a black racer.

9 Likes

That’s what snakes are good for

2 Likes

You can sometimes see 3 or 4 rabbits at a time in our yard. I wish the neighbors didn’t kill the coyotes.

Yesterday I was mowing the weeds close in my wood chip mulch and unearthed a salamander:

9 Likes

Those were creepy, I had them living under rocks and soil in gardens in Maine. Some had yellow spots others bright green!!!

4 Likes

We saw a California Thrasher in our garden today but didn’t have camera ready.

2 Likes