Your choice of mower/weed eaters etc for your orchard

My 5’ spacing for most of my fruit trees has rendered my yard mower useless getting around the tight spaces. I use my weed eater occasionally but I’m not a big fan of using it. I have been looking over these cordless mowers at Home Depot and finally decided to try one. As of now I’m liking it. After mowing my small orchard I checked the batteries and they were about half used. These newer lithium batteries are great.

9 Likes

Hmm - not bad. Is it very noisy compared to a regular gasoline mower?

2 Likes

I use an all wheel drive Swedish articulating rider with a 41" deck in the front. It handles my 30 degree hills and can circle my individual tree cages.

Likes these, but I got an older one used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1UE4D24-Rs

3 Likes

It isn’t noise free but much quieter than a gas powered mower. No gas, and no pulling a cord.

2 Likes

Nice mower

2 Likes

Well, I certainly need one. My JD 997 diesel ZT mower is a real workhorse but it uses a ton of fuel and does not cut anything inside of 60".

2 Likes

I have about 3/4 of an acre to tend and have been through the whole range of electric and gas machines from push mowers to string trimmers to riding mowers. I have come to the conclusion that for my situation none of the machines are an efficient investment in time and money.

My current practice is to spray the entire property with glyphosate in the early spring followed by mulch as req’d. Touch up with a spot spray in summer and fall for any additional weeds. Total annual investment is a few hours of easy work just walking around with a backpack sprayer and perhaps $15 worth of %44 glyphosate.

No more replacement belts, blades, tires, oil, batteries, gasoline, extension cords, string lines, & safety gear. Just clean the sprayer and buy a jug of glyphosate once every few years.

2 Likes

When I posted this thread I was hoping for a diverse group of followup methods. One thing is for sure that there is no one way to do almost anything. Thanks

2 Likes

We had a plug in electric mower at our previous house. It worked really well for the small yard, quiet, light, and fast, and almost never clogged up. It was a pain to deal with the cord, but worth it.
Here we have a gas push mower that clogs up if there is a drop of moisture on the grass. Hate it!
BIL has an old riding mower he’s going to haul over some day (2 hour drive)!

2 Likes

We used an electrical lawnmower for the several years until we got rid of it. The thing was very heavy, the self propelled function broke, so we had to push it around. The power in the batteries was often not strong enough to cut the thick spring grass. With every year the batteries became less and less powerful and needed to charge more often. So I liked the idea, but it did not worked really well.

3 Likes

I’m a beginner with battery mowers so I might change my thoughts about it. If I was planning my orchard layout again I would space to my yard mower size.

2 Likes

Nice Bill. I love my Ryobi battery powered tools - so light weight. I wish they had a vacuum cleaner as part of their ONE+ 18 v line.
My husband was disabled about 10 years ago (medical error) and so we have had someone come and do the lawn for us, thankfully. Sometimes they miss spots so that might be handy to have.
My favorite is their weed trimmer. Even my 8&10 yo grand kids can use it (with safety glasses). Their favorite is the Ryobi blower.
So what sized batteries does your lawn mower take?

2 Likes

For a long time all you could get with cordless tools was Ni-Cad batteries. Along came newer Lithium batters and they made cordless tools a viable option. I started about four years ago upgrading my ryobi tools/batteries when I built my screen porch. I had four batteries then and they still appear to be as good as the day I purchased them. My mower came with two of high amp batteries so I’m well powered up. The only vacuum cleaner I have seen is the small hand held one and it works well but not intended for an entire floor. Ryobi is the most affordable cordless tools of quality that I have seen (my opinion). I probably will miss a few but I now have the mower, vacuum, air pump, hedge clippers, weed eater, skill saw, reciprocating saw, sander, chainsaw, drill, impact drill, hybrid blower, radio, and fan. As you can see I’m all in and have had not a single tool issue.

2 Likes

That Ryobi looks narrow and long. How easy is it to turn?

I once had a Black n Decker 18 inch corded mower. It did 7000 rpm and was so light I could pick it up with one hand. It had twin blades so it was wider than long and easy to turn but because of the cord it was difficult to use around bushes and trees.

What would be nice is a lithium powered mower with pivoting front wheels.

For the nicest solution see @Richard renovation topic.

1 Like

This is a 16" and is very light coming in at 40 pounds. It folds up and has a handle to set it on a shelf if desired. I had no problem with maneuverability. Only used it one time.

1 Like

I also follow Richards renovation and like everything he does. Wish I lived near enough to pester him for a tour.

It is what they list as 18v but when both batteries are installed it is actually 36v. They also sell a 40v.

1 Like

I didn’t realize until I read your list that they had a tire inflator. My wheel barrow tire is kinda flat and that would be handy.
I charge the batteries with my solar setup, which is 12V using their car recharger. The setup is on a cart with wheels that also look like they could use it. :blush:

2 Likes

It will also inflate a full size car tire. So convenient to use.

2 Likes

My lawnmower was Black and Decker, so maybe they improved after that. My electric trimmer also disappoints me. It has power to trim only about half of my yard at a time. Maybe I should look at Ryobi.

2 Likes