Burnt Ridge made it good!

I guess I’m an addict… opening the box felt like Christmas as a child. Last year I ordered a Black Beauty mulberry from BR and it did not have characteristics of a M. nigra. After several emails back and forth BR agreed that it was a mistake and they had been sold some mulberries as nigra that weren’t so I was to be sent a replacement plant this spring. I received it today along with So (Contorted jujube) and some strawberries. The replacement looks to me to be a true nigra and I’m submitting photos to you experts.

My husband dug the hole earlier today and after opening the box my words to him were “you better dig a bigger hole!” I’ve taken these pics late in the day with late sun so they are poor photos but maybe you can see what they shipped.

@jujubemulberry @Livinginawe here is close-up of the buds

And roots

Here’s the So. It stands 40" planted with 3 laterals.

And both planted

Just want to give Burnt Ridge their credit due!

Katy

17 Likes

I got a mulberry like that this spring also. Same grafted tree only not as big.

I also bought the one you had replaced. When I ordered it was listed as a M Nigra. When it arrived it was something else. M Alba or whatever. Some people would complain. I just planted them all, 4 varieties total, and will see how they do. Maybe two will be Nigra.

4 Likes

I still have the other one. Now they are calling it a M. alba ‘Issai’. It grew about 6 feet last year. I basically was just making the point that they were advertising it as something it wasn’t. I didn’t ask for a replacement but when they put me on the list for one I said thank you. They are now selling both.

2 Likes

Looks like a very healthy M. nigra with a well developed root system…Kudos to Burnt Ridge!

1 Like

That replacement tree looks great. Congrats. The one I got a couple springs ago may still not have that much volume.

1 Like

it is a true nigra, and it is monster-sized! Never received a nigra that huge from them before…
And quite commendable that burntridge admitted their mistake.

as for your contorted, there’s no arguing you have the real mccoy, as it certainly has the ‘body of proof’ :thumbsup:

will quickly be the top conversation piece among the trees in your yard. Contorted’s are often mentioned as ‘dwarf’ jujus, but they grow just as fast and as tall as many other jujus we’ve grown. HJ and Chico seem to be more dwarfish here.

your contorted’s size makes me think it might might produce fruit for you this year.

2 Likes

I saw a contorted Jujube next to a contorted Hazelnut. The Jujube looked normal compared to the extremely contorted hazelnut. I love the contorted trees, yet don’t have any, one day…

1 Like

It is so wonderful to see others with the same obsession…I know I am speaking for many (if not most) of the people here in this forum. Our spouses think we’re nuts and our friends really don’t understand us either.

4 Likes

you betcha! the contorted mulberry is another extreme eye-catcher.

Yes, and we have a contorted quince too! I never saw that one. Produces fruit.too. The flowers are yet another feature. Many quince are grown just for the flowers.

Wow! Real roots!

Of course I suppose my new tree had real roots before they cut them off

This is a great dwarfing mulberry. The fruit is mildly flavored and not as sweet as some, but it produces a lot of fruit in spurts throughout the growing season (most in spring though)…and it is propagates by cuttings very easily. Here is a video that stars the ‘Issai’ mulberry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWC9sT13Gpk&t=133s

1 Like

That’s good. I’m hoping to get fruit from it soon. It is certainly a prolific grower. Nice video. I need some of his ducks and geese.

If I were going to order another tree [avert!!] I’d certainly look at Burt Ridge

1 Like

I wonder how difficult air layering a contorted hazelnut is…

What I’ve always found interesting is that the contorted Hazelnut has crinkled leaves. Not So with the contorted Jujube.

Scott

1 Like

I have Issai mulberry and after one season I’m not impressed with the flavor. The thing is growing wonderfully but the 20 or so berries I got off it last year tasted like fresh cut grass. Lol. Hopefully this is similar to figs in that tastes I.prove with age. Otherwise I’m going to tear it out and throw it in the gorge.

1 Like

This guy’s tree planting locations are very unconventional. Most of them are perched or overhanging a creek or swale as he calls it. I assume it dries up in summer but when it comes time to harvest them he’ll have to akwardly stand in water or as the least a swampy depression or steep bank.

1 Like

saw some pictures and they are quite interesting! Contorted jujus tend to drape themselves with lacy foliage instead, you wouldn’t think they have gnarled and spiny skeletons.
here are some pix of figures of 8 and cornrow braids

4 Likes

Very interesting shape, it’s like from another planet! Is this one yours? I don’t know much about jujubes, what kind of flavor do they have? What kind of texture?

1 Like

Bob don’t drink the Jujube koolaid. Don’t let them suck you in :grinning:

4 Likes