What Are You going to Order for 2017?

I was afraid someone might ask that question! I know lots of people here are opposed to this, and I didn’t want to reopen the debate/criticism for doing so, but the 4 cherries I bought today were from…Lowes! (I think I just heard several GASPS!). They were all grown by nurseries that are less than an hour away from me and are all semi dwarf, but right now I don’t know the root stocks. I can usually find out by contacting the nursery that grew them for lowes and find out what rootstocks they use. But before anyone goes completely crazy on me, please know that I bought the aforementioned Black Tartarian and Bing from the same Lowes and they were grown by the same nursery and they worked out GREAT…outperforming what almost everyone said would happen. SO I’m willing to take the chance. If they die in the next 12 months I can return them, too. So even though many people don’t agree, I’ve had very very good luck with big box store trees in terms of health and performance, and have had exactly the same percentage of mislabeled trees from Big Box stores and reputable on-line nurseries.

My other order was from Pleasant Valley/Grow Organic, and one very small order from Hirt’s. I’m more deserving of criticism for my Hirt’s order since I was warned (but also had good reviews) but it was just a $30 order of very small plants-no trees- so I risked it.

@mamuang , you are probably right about not finding the honey jar but if I have to wait another year I can live with that. But thanks. And you are right…I’m big-time into stone fruits. I think I’m the only one here who doesn’t really enjoy apples all that much. I enjoy them in deserts, but I bet I don’t eat more than 20 fresh apple’s in an entire year. I’ll eat that many peaches in 2 days!!!

2 Likes

Kevin, don’t worry about what other people say about where you bought trees. Who cares. You’ve had a lot of success with big box store trees and you have plenty of space to put them. So don’t sweat it. I have a store bought tree that’s probably the nicest tree I own. The nice thing about them is you can see what your getting before buying and can purchase something that already had a good scaffold foundation.

5 Likes

Hey Kevin, I called Edible Landscaping here in VA back in January to inquire about Jujubes and growing them here on the coast. They recommended Honey Jar and said that their shipment was due March 21st and to check their website then. Until then the website will indicate ‘sold out’. I’ve since changed my mind about growing them but you might see if they reserve them.

I agree with @speedster1, people would only gasp because they want the best for you. :blush:

That is great info, Anne, and I appreciate it. I actually already had the jujube page of edible landscaping’s site bookmarked because it does say something like “Not yet available for shipping” so I was going to keep an eye on things. Now thanks to you I have a better idea of what’s going on with them. Thanks.

And both you and Dave, I appreciate what you said. I understand that people who are against big box store trees and say so are doing it because they genuinely feel that way, and I concede that they have some good points. I certainly am never hurt by people who state different opinions or offer well mean criticism. Trust me, in my job as City Manager, I’m always trying to make the whole city and all 5 City Council members happy, and since that is impossible I’ve grown a very, very thick skin. I’m accustomed to criticism much more harsh than what I’ve ever seen here, so I don’t mind people saying they don’t agree with buying big box store trees. I’ve stated all my reasons for doing so in the past and I understand their arguments, so mostly I just didn’t want to rehash all of that. But thanks.

I’ve seen the photo of your Black Tartarian. There is no denying it is a beautiful tree.

Good luck with the new purchases. I hope they perform well for you.

Thanks Matt. It is honestly the healthiest tree in my orchard…you’ve sure got a good memory!

Some of the big box stores have a better live plant guarantee than the nurseries. If that is the variety of tree you want buy it. Save your receipts and tree tags in case they do not do well. As long as you enjoy the tree and fruit that is all that matters.

1 Like

I don’t know where I’m going to put them but I added an Ashmeads kernel on M26 as well as a dripping honey pear to my spring orders. My wife thinks I’m nuts for planting so many trees but luckily she supports me since it’s a crazy fun hobby.

3 Likes

Just found out that our 2002 Jeep is going to need some extensive repairs, so that pretty much means no more ordering for this year. Would like to get a newer vehicle, but don’t want the monthly payments, so we’re going to have to bite the bullet and get it fixed.

But, we’ve got lots coming in at the end of the month, so that’s fine. Between the fruit trees and plants, and all the plowing and veggie planting, we’ll be plenty busy.

2 Likes

@MikeC - I completely agree and appreciate you saying so. I like big box store return policy, i like being able to inspect and select the tree with the best size and shape, I like the convenience of picking a tree and planting it 20 minutes later as well as being able to return it quick and easy, I find potted and well rooted plants take off and produce fruit faster the bare roots in most cases, and more. Those opposed have good points as well, though. I’ve had mislabeled trees from almost every place I’ve bought from- big box and online retails with very good reputations. Actually, if you remove Lowe’s from the equation I’ve had much better true-to-label percentages with big box trees as from reputable nurseries. Lowe’s is far and away the worst for mislabeled trees…and yet I bought 4 cherries from them last night. To most people that is an awful risk, but I’ve got plenty of space, I enjoy all fruit trees, and as long as it turns out to be a fruit producer of some kind I’m pretty accepting. But I know and understand that few people would tolerate mislabeled trees so well. Anyway, thanks again for the support. As you and others have said, buying some of my fruit trees from Big Box stores has left me generally satisfied and happy and that’s all that should matter. The good news is that those who disagree have always been very nice about it and are only trying to help.

@mickster - Its always fun to hear other people have friends and family that think they are nuts for planting so many trees. haha. I sure wish a had a nickle for every time someone in my family, or a friend, or co-works ask me "Are you going to be selling fruit? NO? THEN WHY IN THE WORLD DO YOU HAVE SO MANY FRUIT TREES!?!?!?! " haha I used to try and explain how fun the hobby is, what all is involved, and so on. But of course- as everyone here probably knows- once you start talking about fruit trees the people you are talking to sort of glaze over and you know you’ve lost them. hahaha

@subdood_ky_z6b - I’m sorry to hear about your car trouble and its negative impact on your fruit hobby. I always hate car repairs worst than almost any expense, because you spend all that money and basically you are just right back to where you were the day before the car trouble. At least other expenses- even home repair stuff- you end up with something new and/or better. But you fix a car and end up with the same car in the same condition you thought it was in before the break-down! GRRR!!! Oh well, fortunately it sounds like you still got some nice trees coming and of course gardening season will be here soon, so you’ve got lots of fun cmming up with or without having to spend some tree money on car repairs!!! (not that that makes it any easier…we all know we wish we could just buy ONE MORE tree…but of course that “Just one more” feeling is never satiated ! ha

Kevin,

Tractor Supply has apples, pears, and peaches not bad looking at $12.99

1 Like

Yeah, I had 4 stone fruit trees in a shopping cart from Bay Laurel for maybe a month, but couldn’t pull the trigger. Not primarily because of the costs, but just sceptical that I can get nectarines and apricots to grow here. Maybe they can, but it’ll have to wait another year, because of this repair.

The Jeep has been a real money pit. It’s had its engine replaced, plus radiator, front control arms, water pump and so on. Now it’s the CV/driveshaft, rear control arms, and front bushings of some sort.

I have a Honda Accord that’s a year newer than the Jeep, and other than a transmission replacement which was mostly paid for by the dealer, it’s just been basic maintenance. It’s had some other issues, but not to the extent of the Jeep.

But, we’ll get it fixed and move on. I hate a monthly payment on a newer vehicle, so I just look as the repair as a couple more payments. But, I will say I’ll never get another Jeep/Chrysler product. My wife bought it slightly used years before we met, so it is her vehicle.

1 Like

Once those things start to need repaired/replaced it is a virtual money pit on wheels. I had a vehicle like that. Couple of hundred here and there, then the AC needed replaced, some struts later on, door latches, etc. When the mechanic said the catalytic converter would need to be replaced in the nest year or so ( $2500) that was a no brainer, bye-bye vehicle. I could not justify another $2500 expense and then try and get another 2k more when I started to sell it. So it was gone…

I was tooling around my 2001 F150 last year, because it was running rough. I got up under the truck and noticed, hey there’s no cat converter! The previous owner I guess had it removed and a straight pipe put in its place. Eventually I had if fixed, an ignition coil was bad.

I doubt it would pass an emissions test if we were still in TX, but now we’re in KY, we don’t have to worry about that or a vehicle inspection.

First set of trees is here-- the box of peach trees from CVN.

White Diamond is here! Windblo is here! Etc etc. Hurray!

7 Likes

I ordered three or so. How’s the condition?

It’s like Christmas in March!

I’m seeing some big anchoring roots. I’ll look closer this weekend when I plant them.

Fairtime, White Diamond, and Garnet Beauty have particularly robust roots. They’re all on Halford.

2 Likes

I was at HomeDepot last night and saw some nice 2-tier apples in 7-gal pots. They were $60 and had 4 varieties, 1 each on relatively flat branches. Each branch was different- Fuji, Gala, Gravenstein, and something else. I didn’t buy any, but I thought they looked pretty good. They also had 4-type pears (Anjou, Bartlet, Seckle, and one other) but the pears didn’t look all that well thought out, with tight, sometimes crossing growth. If I had one of them, I’d be afraid to prune out one of the varieties by accident.

3 Likes