What Are You going to Order for 2017?

Yes. Do you have any concerns?

Just wondering if you are going to grow some of them in pots.

Tony

No. All will be planted - on mounds but - in the ground. No pots.

1 Like

Matt, do you ever have trouble with making sure everything is getting enough water at your mountain property or is that not a concern? Just curious.

Droughty spells have been a problem, and I am pretty sure they’ve stunted or delayed the establishment of some late-season transplants, but I don’t think I’ve ever lost a tree because of it, at least to my knowledge.

One year, I planted several items in late spring, and then it got hot and dry right afterward. I was especially sweating that planting. I even humped down to the nearest river twice that summer, filled up some old gallon jugs, and trickled the water at the base of the trees to keep them alive.

Sometime in late June of that year, we finally got a soaking rain, and all the trees stabilized or perked up.

To be quite honest, I am amazed at the abuse these trees can handle, especially apples and pears.

Some of my specimens do suffer from a lack of vigor, but most plants and trees are puttering along alright.

2 Likes

I added an Illinois everbearing mulberry to my order from Stark Bro’s on ClarkinKansas’ recommendation of what a great protector tree they are for other fruit

1 Like

I ordered - BurgundyPearl Gisela 6, Cherry and Ebony Pearl Cherry- 1-year Bare-root Gisela 6. I got an explanation from Steve Cummins yesterday explaining that they had crop failure and had a commitment from another nursery to source the trees. The other nursery backed out of there commitment thus no trees. I am still without trees but will accept there explanation and move on.

Mulberries are great target fruit for animals and bird’s but keep in mind if you eat the mulberries they will go after your other fruit. Illinois everbearing does not always produce a lot of fruit in my understanding but the quality is very good. I grow 30 + Mulberry trees. Mulberries save my cherry and juneberry crop which is very attractive to bird’s. The bird’s do eat some cherries but mulberries produce first and they are eating them as food by the time cherries ripen so they are still focused on mulberries. My BlackBerry crop is the same way as the cherries which is occassionally nibbled on but secondary to mulberries.

1 Like

Speaking of Mulberries, i was looking for some no spray trees that I could keep at my cottage on a canal lot, not worrying about if I got there to harvest or not, it would not matter. Mulberries and pawpaws fit the bill. On another site i saw someone was rooting mulberry cuttings. Some I guess root very easily, others do not. So long story I have about 7 cultivars I’m trying to root, and Chills gave me some paw paw seedlings, Brady has some pawpaw seeds and possibly seedlings from a very different source,thus they should pollinate each other, if I can keep them alive. I must say it sure beats paying for them! Nothing to lose. I’m so broke, that I decided to not make some orders this year. I have to conserve as my maintenance costs of my properties this year is going to be burdensome. I’m trying to be more fiscally sound in my decisions, yet still fill that need to grow yet more plants. Going on a third property with edibles at this point, even though this one is just a lot. Location is nice and sunny. So looking forward to have a good year all the same with plenty possibilities of more fruit!
Oh their is a reason those birds are going for mulberries, they can be fantastic fruit! The heck with the birds, this fruit is mine! What’s nice about Mulberries, is their should be enough for all. Mulberry jam is amazing, it mixes well with black raspberries too for jam.I saw some dried mulberries for sale recently, I may have to try that. One I’m rooting is Sweet Lavender
https://www.amazon.com/Healthworks-White-Mulberries-Sun-Dried-Organic/dp/B01H39EBZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488279575&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=dried+mulberries&psc=1

2 Likes

I love mulberries.

Here is the single fruit my Illinois Everbearing gave me in its first leaf post-transplant. It was beautiful and delicious. I’m hoping for hundreds more fruit in years to come.

3 Likes

Years ago when we lived in a different place, a mulberry tree came up in my garden. I let it grow so the birds would avoid my strawberries (which they did not). I thought I had heard that mulberries were poisonous, so did not pick them. Dumb me. It was on the Garden Web forum that I learned they were edible! So thankful for Internet and fruit forums.

1 Like

I’ve never had a problem with birds going after my strawberries, at least, not enough of one to make me notice. Where they really hit me is blueberries and grapes, I’m sure even with this mulberry purchase, I’ll be netting stuff for years to come

The birds would even crawl under the netting in Oshkosh to get my strawberries. Where we live now near St. Paul, the birds don’t bother the strawberries, but love blueberries.

So far, here is what I’ve ordered:

1 Flavor King Pluot® Tree (Semi-dwarf) [FT222]
1 Emerald Beaut Plum Tree, Japanese type (Semi-dwarf) [FT205]
1 Flavor Grenade Zaiger Pluot® Tree (Semi-dwarf) [FT219]
1 Bavay’s Green Gage Plum Tree, European Type (Semi-dwarf) [FT203]
1 Spice Zee Nectaplum® Tree (Semi-dwarf) [FT131]
1 Redhaven Peach Tree (Semi-dwarf) [FT145]
1 O’Henry Peach Tree (Semi-dwarf) [FT140]
1 Flavor Queen Pluot® Tree (Semi-dwarf) [FT327]
and
1 x Formosa Carpet Raspberry - Hardy - Sweet & Juicy - Rubus pentalobus - 4" Pot
1 x LSU Purple Edible Fig Plant - Ficus carica - Sweet - 4" Pot
1 x Ultra Hardy Olympian Fig Plant - Very Sweet - 4" Pot
1 x Maxie ™ Yezberry ™ Japanese Haskap Lonicera -4" pot

Purchased locally today:
1 Van Sweet Cherry
1 Stella Sweet Cherry
1 Lambert Sweet Cherry
1 Black Tartarian Sweet Cherry (I already have 1 of these that does great)

Yet to be ordered (I know…getting very late)
Honey Jar Jujube
Sugar Cane Jujube

I’m always open for comments, suggestions, opinions, etc.

4 Likes

Let’s see. You’re single, so a bite of a different flavor every other day all year?

2 Likes

Your going to love your pluots and nectaplums. We got 40+ pieces of fruit from our second leaf nactaplum last year. Hoping for a similar crop this year if we don’t get a late freeze.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement. And yes, when you’re divorced with no kids, disposable income is much easier to come by, as is the time to work in the orchard and so on. You will notice that I added 4 more trees today that I bought locally- all 4 are sweet cherries. I am fully aware of the uphill battle when it comes to growing sweet cherries here in the mid-south, and lots of people told me it would never work. But I’ve had good luck with my Bing and incredible success with me Black Tartarian, so I thought I’d give a few more a try. One reason I plant so many trees is just to find out what works in my climate, my soil, etc. Over time I’ll let the unsuccessful stuff go, and I’ve done a little of that this year.

BTW, @northwoodswis4 , you don’t get to harass anyone for having a wide variety! ha. For your part of the country I think you have a LOT of stuff as well!

3 Likes

From which nurseries? Do you know which rootstocks?

Kevin,
Can’t help but notice that you are a big stone fruit fan!!!

At the time of the season, i think you will have hard time finding Honey Jar jujube.

Don’t you know it is an obsession. Now for it to actually produce.