What's happening today - 2018 edition

I’d probably be ready to start picking lettuce by now if the damrabbits hadn’t gotten my transplants

1 Like

I picked up my Red Haven & Contender peach trees today at Fedco. And I have to say that they look very nice. It remains to be seen how good the roots are (they are wrapped in bunches of 10 & I’ll be planting them this weekend) but they certainly look like the best peach trees that I have ever got from them.

9 Likes

Peach forest!

3 Likes

Very nice. What kind of caliper on them?

Didn’t you get a bunch of Contenders last year? How have they done? And, did your older peach trees’ blossoms make it through the freezes?

Cool weather stuff starting to look good…finally.

6 Likes

I’d say that most of them look to be around 3/4 caliper. Yes, I got a bunch of Contender last year and they made it through the winter and look good. The 61 Red Haven are replacement trees from Fedco. I got some last season and they were horrible. I had to replace about 80% of them and Fedco stood behind their trees & replaced them for free!

Believe it or not our peach trees have not blossomed yet. They are about a week away. We’ve had about 2-3 inches of rain over the past 2 days so I expect everything to go into overdrive when the warm weather (70s) hits next week.

3 Likes

I’ve been hardening off my Peppers this week and only managed to burn a few of the most sensitive plants. I’m hoping to put them in the ground this weekend, likely on Saturday. Most of these plants were started in late fall and early winter.

11 Likes

Wow!

Nicely feathered trees.

1 Like

Male and female pistachio flowers.

10 Likes

I’m waiting for the female flowers to open then planning to help out with some hand pollination. They should be wind pollinated but I figure it shouldn’t hurt to lend a hand.

3 Likes

My plum tree as completed petal fall and tomorrow is forecasted to be 73 degrees. If anything, the plum fruits are pin head in size. Anyone have an opinion if I should be spraying surround tonight to ward off the dreaded plum curculio?

Hey Susu, are those onions or garlic along the back of the bed?

Jim,

This is from Penn State’s Extension services “Most PC beetle activity occurs during the first warm period after petal fall, when the maximum temperature is 70°F or higher.”

The temp and timing you described is perfect for these buggers to go to work and they could ruin many of your fruitlets in one day.

2 Likes

Thanks,
The Penn State Extension was what I was going off of also. What is throwing me off is that it will only be one day of 70 or higher, not a period. It will cool to 56 on Sunday, then 62 on Monday before warming up. Also, there is barely any fruit for the PC to get to, being so tiny at this point.

I suppose it is better to be safe than sorry and with no rain in the forecast I will spray a coat on tonight and monitor.

This is the first year a late frost didn’t get my plums so it’s all an experiment at this point.

1 Like

It’s the garlic variety Music. Planted last fall. They seem to like the blood meal I fed them.

Ha, I have music garlic also. Been growing the same variety from the previous year’s bulbs for 5 years now. Good flavor and they last a long time.

1 Like

When I underestimsted those buggers, I paid the price. Lower temp slow them down but does not stop them. I agree better safe than sorry.

2 Likes

fedco has some nice stock! pricey but you get your moneys worth.

1 Like

I am sooooooo tired! I have a 10x10 kennel that I have resourced to hold my seedlings and grafts. It was over taken in weeds/grass. Sooo…today it isn’t!

Here are the plants to go in there.

And here they are in their “new” home.

I think it will be worth it!

Katy

28 Likes